Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Reusable Sandwich/Snack Bag Instructions

The new school year is upon us and with that comes the thought of school lunches. My children have never liked buying  cafeteria lunches and I can't really say I blame them. I have been making school lunches for the past 15 years and there is no end in sight with my youngest being only in third grade! When I think about the number of disposable sandwich bags that has amounted to it is just mind blowing. Five years ago I designed my own reusable fabric lunch bag. I will share that pattern with you soon. Three years ago I designed my own reusable sandwich/snack bag. I have two different styles so for today I will share with you the loop version. This is my favorite because it is simple to make and there are no hook and loop closures to deal with. I feel that the hook and loop style tends to attract crumbs and holds on to them.

Below are the instructions for making this great sandwich bag which can also be used for snacks. If you have any questions please ask I will be happy to help. Oh and let me know if you make one I would love to see how it turned out!

I just need to add this small note. The instructions are for your own personal use they are not for making and selling. If you would like to make and sell this please contact me for the rights to do so.

Oh and one last note. The instructions are written for using the denim fabric but feel free to use any cotton fabric you wish.

Materials and Supplies:

100% Cotton Denim Fabric (stretchy fabric is not recommended)  1/2 yard
100% Cotton Red Gingham Facric
Sewing Machine
Matching Thread
Scissors
Straight Pins
Iron

Cutting:

Denim Fabric cut 8 inches wide by 16 inches long
 Red Gingham cut 8 inches wide by 16 inches long
For loop strap use the Red gingham fabric cut 1 3/4 inches wide by 8 inches long

Instructions:

All seam allowances are 1/2 inch unless noted
Prewash all fabric (do not use fabric softener) 

Construct Closure Loop Strap





1.Fold strip of fabric in half, wrong sides together, press with iron
2.Open, place wrong side up
3.Turn each raw end in 1/4 inch and press
4.Fold left side of fabric to center lengthwise and press
5.Fold right side of fabric to center lengthwise and press
6. Fold in half and press
7. Stitch close to end

Construct Sandwich Bag









1.Place right sides of fabric together
2.Sew closed leaving a 4 inch opening for turning
3.Clip corners
4.Turn right side out through the 4 inch opening
5.Stitch across the bottom, close to the edge, to close the opening used for turning
6.Measure from the top down 3 7/8 inches and mark on both the right and left sides
7.Fold the bottom up to the 3 7/8 inch mark and press
8.Measure up from the bottom 3 1/4 inch mark on both the righ and left sides place closure strap here
9.Sew down both sides close to the edge
10. Fold top over and tuck under closure strap

No comments:

Post a Comment